Doctor Who

Doctor Who
Susan, he's behind you!

Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 06 of Doctor Who Awesome

Cheaper Budget= Bigger Imagination and better storytelling:

Us Doctor Who fans are not ones to worry too much about DIY aliens and carboard scenery, if your like me you're more interested in the story, actors etc. in fact if you're noticing the set more than anything else than I think the story isn't engaging you.

CGI is a good thing in some instances but our reliance on it today is so frustrating. I noticed yesterday on Doctor Who Confidential the crew waflling on about they needed it to be big and epic like Star Wars...um no it doesn't, I like Star Wars but I never want Doctor Who to be that extreme.  They kept saying that the hangar they filmed in needed to look vast and military like, personally I rarely noticed it as I was too busy eager to discover River Song's identity and what was going on with Amy's baby. To me it looked no different than a set.

I love the 60's eps as you can gather from this blog. I love the imagination that goes into them when faced with a criminally low budget, directors and designers have to be so much more creative under those circumstances.  the new eps look awesome but they have seem to forgotten that it isn't essential for Doctor Who.  My Dad for example thought the sweeping American Scenery in The Impossible Astronaught was a waste of time as he thought it was CGI and anyway as far as I'm concerned I don't need to be shown American landscape to know that that's where they are, heck an American flag would have done the same storytelling.  it almost feels they want to shoot movies not TV where obviously emphasis is on style and visual but TV is not supposed to be that way, it is character driven and inventive and a way to make statements about ourselves and our world.

Anyway bit of a rant, don't get me wrong I love any era of Doctor Who I just wish they wouldn't act like early episodes were 'oh they're good for the time I suppose'. NO they're great full stop, they're great now as they were then because the storytelling and acting is there and the creepy sci-fi is the most important thing.

Ooh really want to watch classic Who now.

Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment